Thursday 6 October 2011

Memorable Passengers - Joyce

Joyce is a lovely lady, proud of where she lives.
It's a little seaside town in Northern England and when we first sat down at the dinner table with her, she was mortified to find we had never been there.
"You've never been to Seatown?!" (not the real name), would ask incredulously. "You don't know what you're missing!"
She took every opportunity to drop the name of the town into the conversation, so when the cruise ended, we thought we'd better go and see the place and we paid her a visit.
It was nice enough. No beach. Just mudflats. Hadn't moved on since the 50's - the 1850's.
Perhaps that's what she loved about it.
A strange thing happened on the cruise. She told me she had had the same recurring nightmare every night.
Her father had been a stonemason, carving gravestones for a living.
In her dream, a tombstone shattered and the pieces flew slowly towards her and into her mouth and she always woke up choking.
Half joking, I said: "I'll stop those bad dreams" and in the middle of the Atrium, I placed my hands on her head and commanded the dreams to stop.
Next evening at dinner, she looked at me and asked: "What did you do?"
I said: "What do you mean?"
She said: "I didn't have the nightmare last night".
Nor did she for the rest of the cruise. Nor has she since.
She always comments on it when we speak to her.
I don't know what I did but it obviously worked. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're all in the same boat so please leave a note!